Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Associate
Reports to: Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
Location: Gulu, Uganda
Estimated start: February – March 2022
About Cycle Connect
Cycle Connect is a socially-driven business that delivers agricultural products and tools to farmers living in remote, rural areas in Northern Uganda. We offer our farmers loans on flexible terms so that they can invest in the necessary tools to drive their businesses forward.
Millions of farmers are financially excluded and yet need access to products on credit. This is where Cycle Connect delivers, as we specialize in offering productive tools on financing plans, reaching the most last mile customers, and offering low barrier loan terms built for farmers, enabling them to increase their income and in turn propel their communities forward.
We have a growing number of assets in our portfolio, including oxen and plough, bicycles, motorcycles, grinding machines, and a rich pipeline for even more. To date, we have worked with over 10,000 farmers across two different branches (Gulu & Lira) and are backed up by 40 team members. We are venturing through an exciting time of rapid growth and scale throughout Uganda and are therefore looking to expand our team.
Under the supervision of the M&E Manager, the M&E Associate will ensure quality data is collected, stored and accessible. S/he is to supervise and participate in all data collection, data cleaning and input, analysis, and data interpretation on which to base decisions.
1. Data Collection and Management for M&E (40%):
● Support the implementation of the research, learning, and evidence generating activities in the field through conducting data collection methods, e.g. surveys, in-depth interviews, and focus groups.
● Support the development of research instruments, conduct data collection training and monitor the progress of research activities.
● Support compilation of qualitative and quantitative data to measure Cycle Connect’s impact.
2. Qualitative Research and Special projects (20%):
● Supporting specific research projects & initiatives, qualitative studies that are outside the M&E department, especially research projects to understand the different types of farmers that Cycle Connect works with.
● Support research dissemination activities, including developing presentations and briefs on research design and findings
3. Data Cleaning and Data Quality Assurance (30%):
● Support accurate and timely data sorting, coding, cleaning, validation and aggregation
● Perform regular field visits, conduct Data Quality Assessment (DQA) and checks to ensure the quality of data collected and to verify the accuracy of the data reported.
● Support staff to engage in continuous data quality improvement and to frequently use data for improvement by ensuring good visualization and dissemination of data.
● Provide regular feedback to teams on the data collected/submitted through monthly reports on indicator trends and learning for evidence-based decision-making.
4. Other duties that may be assigned (10%):
● Support Staff capacity enhancement and other essential duties as required by the M&E and research department.
● Quantitative and qualitative research experience in conducting semi-structured interviews, preferably with rural communities in Northern Uganda.
● Minimum education of diploma or bachelor from a recognised institution especially in the fields of Economics, Statistics, Social Sciences, Development Studies, agriculture or any related field.
● Additional training in M&E, Research, Data collection or Protection of Human Research Subjects will be an added advantage.
● Minimum of 1-2 years experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis, research work, and report writing.
● Understanding of research and basic M&E principles and techniques, data collection, and analysis.
● Efficient use of data collection systems (KoboCollect, SurveyCTO) for both questionnaire design, uploads and data collection.
● We are looking for people with effective communication and translating skills who are fluent in both English and Acholi. It would be an asset if s/he can speak Langi too.
● Passionate about social impact and improving the lives of those in the last mile.
This placement is located in Gulu, with some travel to our branch in Lira. Compensation commensurate with on experience with market-level rates. This position is currently offered at 12 months with the possibility of a contract renewal depending on the candidate’s performance in the role.
Want to apply?
● Take a look at our website to see how you resonate with what we do.
● Please fill in the application form linked here. You will be required to upload your CV in a PDF format into the form. Please ensure that it is tailored to this role and has no more than 3 pages.
● The deadline for applications is 28th January 2022 Midnight EAT
● If you have any further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org