Reports to: Credit Manager
Direct reports: Field supervisors, Recovery officer
About Cycle Connect
Cycle Connect is a socially-driven business that delivers products and services to smallholder farmers in Uganda. We believe that distance should not be a barrier to opportunity and that is why we work on serving last mile farmers.
Millions of farmers are financially excluded and yet need access to assets on credit. This is where Cycle Connect delivers, as we specialize in offering productive assets on financing plans. We offer low barrier loan terms built for farmers, enabling them to increase their income and in turn propel their communities forward.
We began our full-time operations in 2014 and have a growing number of assets in our portfolio, including oxen and plough, bicycles, motorcycles, grinding machines. To date, we have worked with over 10,000 farmers across two different branches and backed up by 40 team members. We are venturing through an exciting time of rapid growth and scale throughout Uganda and are therefore looking to expand our team.
Length of contract
This is a two-year contract, with the possibility to extend.
To supervise all branch performance and operations targets by ensuring that the branch delivers appropriate products and services to clients.
● Work with Head of Credit to ensure achievement of set branch goals, market coverage, customer outreach, service quality with a focus on strategic priorities
● Oversee all the branch credit and marketing activities, coordinate all branch management weekly or monthly meetings with regular travels to the field to manage staff and meet customers.
● Meet set targets for loan disbursement, Portfolio quality (PAR) and marketing targets
● Chairperson of the branch credit committee and communicate approval to the Credit Manager.
● Ensure that client’s complaints and feedback are appropriately and effectively handled, the complaints handling channels are in place and effectively being used
● Ensure staff have monthly/quarterly/annual/ performance targets that are aligned to Cycle Connect’s strategic plan, monitor achievement of performance of the branch against the set objectives and take corrective action against significant deviations
● Ensure weekly and monthly performance returns to the Head Office, relating to portfolio growth and quality, staffing, client training and general performance of the branch.
● Ensure that both new and existing clients and staff receive quality training in financial literacy, business management skills, loan terms and conditions etc
Operational and credit risk management, internal control, procedures and systems compliance
● Communicate clearly to branch staff all policies, guidelines and procedures, ensuring a high level of product knowledge and risk management systems by all staff and where training is needed it should be provided.
● Ensure collaboration with both operational and credit branch functions and activities are in compliance with local legislation, and internal control policies and procedures.
● Implement and monitor security and fraud precautions at the branch to protect customer deposits, company assets and staff.
● Conduct unannounced audits of files, systems and available documentation, ensure that clients receive signed copies of documents, loan contracts, pass books and payment schedules.
Marketing, sales and customer service
● Promote a sales-oriented culture within the branch that satisfies the needs of clients and recognizes the importance of long-term customer relationships.
● Gain close client contact through field visits to keep abreast with customer needs, service problems and resolving problems as necessary.
● Reinforce the application of superior customer service, train staff on best customer service and award good customer service.
● Establish linkages with other organizations that can provide a pipeline for sales
Team supervision and human resource management
● Train, mentor, advice, guide and support branch staff to ensure staff are motivated and organized to exceed performance targets
● Ensure branch staff behaviour is in line with the code of conduct, core values and mission of the organisation.
● Ensure that new staff before they are assigned tasks are properly trained and on boarded, but even then, continue offering on job training and mentoring.
● Carry out bi annual performance reviews, ensure that all branch staff are appraised based on performance objectives and recommend them for training whenever necessary.
● Ensure good team spirit and staff motivation in the branches.
● Work closely with the Human Resource office to ensure effective management of poor performance, conduct staff exit surveys and inform management.
Who are we looking for?
● At least five (5) years of progressive working experience delivering microfinance for impact with a minimum of three (3) years at managerial/supervisory level within reputable financial institutions.
● A minimum of a Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in business disciplines, social sciences or related fields.
● Experience working with smallholder farmers, preferably with asset financing.
● Ability to multitask in a highly demanding environment with minimal supervision while delivering results on schedule.
● Fluency in English, excellent oral and written communication skills. Luo is an advantage.
● Critical thinker, decisive and results oriented.
● People management skills, being able to coach and mentor young professionals.
● Qualified females are highly encouraged to apply
Your working hours are 40 hours per week for which flexibility is required based on the market needs, this includes that you might need to work weekends or early evening hours.
Want to apply?
● Take a look at our website to see how you resonate with what we do.
● Fill out the online application form
● Deadline for applications is 8th of April 2022.