Job Title: Operations Manager
Location: Kampala, Uganda (25%) | Gulu and Lira, Uganda (75%)
About Cycle Connect
Cycle Connect is a social enterprise that delivers products and services to rural farmers in Uganda. We believe that distance should not be a barrier to opportunity and that is why we work on serving last-mile farmers.
Millions of farmers are financially excluded and yet need access to assets on credit. This is where Cycle Connect delivers as we specialize in offering productive assets on financing plans. We reach the most rural customers and offer low barrier loan terms built for farmers, enabling them to increase their income and in turn propel their communities forward.
We began our full-time operations in 2014 and early-on pivoted to a blended enterprise and impact model. We have a growing number of assets in our portfolio, including oxen and plough, bicycles, motorcycles, grinding machines, and a rich pipeline for even more. To date, we have worked with over 10,000 farmers across two different branches and backed up by 40 team members. We are venturing through an exciting time of growth and scale throughout Uganda and are therefore looking to expand our team.
We are looking for a passionate, dedicated and business-savvy individual to be a part of our senior management team to lead our operations department. As part of that you will be creating and implementing an Operations strategy that delivers IT and process solutions to revolutionize how Cycle Connect approaches our procurement and last mile delivery while working with the Managing Director on key strategies.
Operations, Management, and Processes (50%)
- -Analyze and implement improvement initiatives for operational processes and policies (Credit, HR, Finance), such as building a system for client feedback and improving review of portfolio management.
- -Oversee supply chain management and last-mile distribution for loan products (bicycles, oxen, grinding mills, etc.)
- -Supervise the Operations team and support staff to ensure the smooth running of operational processes.
- -Contribute to leadership and strategy by serving as a member of the management team.
- -Assist in developing, maintaining, and reviewing operations budget as well as contributing to the country budget.
Systems and IT (25%):
-Spearhead the adoption and use of technological systems within the company. This mainly includes serving as the main contact person for the loan tracking database and CRM.
-Implement technical solutions to enhance operations throughout organization, including credit, marketing, and overall operational efficiency. As part of this work, research, identify, and manage relationships with relevant external partners and suppliers.
-Serve as a point person for IT consultants working to improve the technical side of systems.
Inventory, logistics, and supply chain (25%):
Inventory Note: Inventory includes future asset-loans for clients: bicycles, seeds (seasonally), and company-owned assets.
-Oversee the entire inventory process, including new stock, disposal of assets when applicable, and the financial and quality controls of different inventory.
-Analyse and improve the current system, including researching digital solutions to increase efficiency.
-Manage the international shipping process for bicycles as well as other assets’ transport of goods domestically.
Logistics and supply chain:
-Ensure that office logistic processes, including transport, fleet, and security processes, are coordinated effectively and efficiently to enable staff to carry out their daily fieldwork.
-Oversee department that tracks fuel use and reconciliation.
Who are we looking for:
Work experience: 5-7 years of professional experience, with:
- -2-3 years in a management position where you managed and trained a team with great results
- -At least 4 years of working on back-end systems for a company
- -Experience with inventory and supply chain management required
- -Previous experience in small rapid-growth environments, preferably social start-ups going to scale.
- -Passionate about systems, structure, and back-end operations to make things run smoothly.
- -Strong experience implementing strategic operational changes and driving adoption of new
procedures and systems in the team.
- -Past involvement incorporating a digital strategy to push innovation and efficiency. You're not a
coder, but can project manage the design and implementation of a tech solution.
- -Strong conceptual thinking skills, with the ability to understand a situation or problem by
identifying patterns or connections, and creating a solution that addresses key underlying issues.
- -Strong Excel analysis skills with the ability to quickly adapt to new programs.
- -You are solution-oriented and look at problems as opportunities to overcome. You are resilient and can inspire the team through moments of adversity.
- -You act with humility, know how to listen, and make yourself accessible to those you work with.
- -Bachelor’s Degree required.
- -Sense of humor.
The location will be split between Kampala, Gulu, and Lira based on the organizational needs and workflow. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Additional benefits include health insurance and professional development. We will agree on a 6-month probation period with learning and performance objectives after which we offer a two-year contract.
Want to apply?
- Take a look at our website to see how you resonate with what we do.
- Fill out the online application form: https://forms.gle/BsDWEozC82LM88SCA
- You will upload your CV in PDF format into the form. Please ensure that it is tailored to this role and has no more than 3 pages.
- The deadline for applications is the 11th of December.