Cycle Connect is Hiring an M&E Manager
Job Title: M&E Manager
Reports to: Development Manager
Location: Gulu, Uganda
Estimated start date: June 2021
About Cycle Connect
Cycle Connect is a socially-driven business that delivers agricultural products and tools to farmers living in remote, rural areas in Northern Uganda. Millions of farmers are financially excluded and yet need access to products on credit. This is where Cycle Connect delivers, as we specialize in offering productive tools on financing plans, reaching the most last-mile customers, and offering low barrier loan terms built for farmers, enabling them to increase their income and in turn propel their communities forward.
We have a growing number of assets in our portfolio, including oxen and plough, bicycles, motorcycles, grinding machines, and a rich pipeline for even more. To date, we have worked with over 10,000 farmers across two different branches and are backed up by 40 team members. We are venturing through an exciting time of rapid growth and scale throughout Uganda and are therefore looking to expand our team.
Cycle Connect is looking for a determined, analytical, and solution-driven Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Manager to take on the challenge of designing and testing Cycle Connect’s new evaluation tools. Cycle Connect does not yet have an in-house M&E team, but creating these evaluation tools will be the first, catalytic step to establishing a strong impact department.
The M&E Manager will work closely with an external M&E Consultant to create a quantitative evaluation framework with key indicators to measure farmers’ income change, as well as designing data collection tools to collect the key indicators within Cycle Connect’s operations. The external M&E Consultant is an expert researcher who will provide the internal M&E Manager with feedback on deliverables, strategic advice, and mentorship throughout the process.
M&E tools: design and testing (70%):
● Work with the M&E Consultant to create an initial framework on how to assess Cycle Connect’s workflows and interview staff.
● Use the initial framework to research and understand Cycle Connect’s client profiles, products, business operations, data points, and M&E needs.
● Work with the M&E Consultant to test assumptions and proxies to design a quantitative evaluation framework with key indicators to measure farmers’ income change.
● Work with the M&E Consultant to design and test data collection tools to collect the key indicators within Cycle Connect’s operations in a reliable and valid manner.
● Undertake lean research management: quickly testing assumptions in the field, efficiently validating learnings, and iterating the tools at low costs.
Building organizational M&E capacity, storage, and quality control (20%):
● Train Cycle Connect’s field team on how to use the new tools and understand how it measures income change.
● Train enumerators and ensure that their work is accurate and in line with the research objectives.
● Work with the M&E Consultant to provide strategic recommendations on how to efficiently implement the tools within Cycle Connect’s operations and what additional infrastructure needs to be built.
● Store impact data in a secure database, assuring that the data is accurate before reporting the
feedback to stakeholders.
Qualitative research and special projects (10%):
● Work on specific research projects and qualitative studies outside this scope may additionally be requested during the year depending on your workload at the time.
Essential skills we are looking for:
● You have 5-7 years of experience in program implementation with at least 3 years in monitoring and evaluation and are ready to take on the day-to-day management of an M&E project.
● You have strong analytical skills with working knowledge of some qualitative and quantitative statistical packages (e.g. Excel, R, SPSS, STATA, Nvivo OR Dedoose).
○ Candidates should have knowledge of descriptive and inferential statistics.
○ Candidates should have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. An additional 2 years of experience would be considered in place of a master’s.
○ University degree in one or more of the following disciplines: M&E, statistics, nutrition, economics, agriculture, international affairs, social sciences, development studies, project management, and or similar relevant disciplines
● You are able to conduct high-quality quantitative and qualitative research using M&E frameworks and indicators.
● You have an analytical thought process and are able to make data-driven decisions in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
● You are capable of using lean project management and problem-solving techniques to conceptualize and design M&E tools with limited resources.
● You are passionate about social impact and improving the lives of those in the last mile.
You will impress us further if you:
● You are a fluent Acholi speaker who is able to speak directly to our clients in the field without the need
for a translator.
● You have previously worked with a smaller social enterprise in East Africa.
● You have direct lean project management experience: testing assumptions, quickly validating learnings, and iterating at low costs.
● You can show evidence of designing a successful research tool or system implemented by another organization.
● You have experience in database management, data security, and processing.
● You have direct experience in at least one of these thematic areas: agriculture, livelihoods, income change, financial inclusion (of productive assets).
This placement is located in Gulu, with some travel to our branch in Lira. Compensation commensurate with experience with market-level rates.
This position is currently offered at 12 months with the possibility of contract renewal depending on the candidate’s performance in the role.
Want to apply?
● Take a look at our website to see how you resonate with what we do.
● Fill out the online application form:
● You will upload your CV in PDF format into the form. Please ensure that it is tailored to this role and
has no more than 3 pages.
● The deadline for applications is Tuesday 6th April 2021 Midnight EAT
● If you have any further questions, please contact email@example.com