Cycle Connect is Hiring an HR Manager
Job Title: Human Resource Manager
Reports to: Managing Director
Location: Gulu, Uganda
About Cycle Connect
Cycle Connect is a socially-driven business that delivers products and services to rural farmers in Uganda. We believe that distance should not be a barrier to opportunity and that is why we work on serving last mile farmers. Millions of farmers are financially excluded and yet need access to assets on credit. This is where Cycle Connect delivers, as we specialize in offering productive assets on financing plans, reaching the most last mile customers, and offering low barrier loan terms built for farmers, enabling them to increase their income and in turn propel their communities forward. We began our full-time operations in 2014 and early-on pivoted to a blended enterprise and impact model. We have a growing number of assets in our portfolio, including oxen and plow, bicycles, motorcycles, grinding machines, and a rich pipeline for even more.
To date, we have worked with over 7,000 farmers across two different branches and backed up by 40 team members. We are venturing through an exciting time of rapid growth and scale throughout Uganda and are therefore looking to expand our team.
We are looking for a passionate and dedicated individual to lead our human resources and talent through rapid growth and transformation. As part of the senior management team you will be creating and implementing an HR strategy to ensure smooth HR functions in coordination with employees, line managers, and management while working with the Managing Director on key strategies. You will be solely responsible for the HR department with the strong likelihood of growing additional capacity. If you want autonomy in your work and to be part of a social venture history then this is the right role for you.
Recruiting, Hiring, and Training (40%):
● Support departmental hiring and staffing needs, including working with departments to ensure all key positions are filled and managers are supported. Work with the leadership team and Managing Director to ensure that the organizational structure is consistently revisited to maintain effectiveness.
● Develop a hiring manual for Cycle Connect based on current practices at the organization
● Spearhead efforts on special training and in-house capacity building efforts, as informed by team, departmental heads, and own assessments.
Administrative, Compliance, and Legal (40%):
● Oversee employee benefits
● Ensure employment practices are in compliance through an understanding of employment laws and coordination with Cycle Connect legal counsel
● Ensure proper HR administration by tracking all administrative details done in each department, including the execution of contracts, planning and completion of onboarding, execution of performance management reviews, evaluation of salary advances, and tracking for leave.
● Review and analyze HR Manual, as well as provide routine updates for distribution to the team.
Culture and Strategy (20%):
● Support leadership team in building effective culture and talent development through partnering with departments and spearheading initiatives throughout organization.
● Work with the leadership team to ensure that the team embodies the Cycle Connect values and everyone is aligned to the company culture.
● Evaluate current HR processes and programs to ensure effective delivery
● Work with Managing Director on building talent development strategy
● Work with the leadership team on standardizing performance evaluations and developing departmental competencies for each role across the organization.
Special projects: special projects outside this scope may additionally be requested, which are likely to fall within above three categories.
Who We Are Looking For
● You have 3- 5 years of HR/Talent experience and are ready to grow into a management position.
● You are knowledgeable about HR, labor laws, and compliance.
● You have experience in databases, including an HR information system (HRIS).
● You previously led recruitment, onboarding, and talent development programs.
● You have experience in facilitating internal training programs.
● You’re a self-starter that’s excited to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
● You have past results leading in uncertain environments and know how to promote adaptability, agility and lead people through change.
● You believe learning is constant and you inculcate a learning culture in those you work with.
● You act with humility, know how to listen, and make yourself accessible to those you work with.
● You are solution-oriented and look at problems as opportunities to overcome. You are resilient and can inspire the team through moments of adversity.
● Passionate about social impact and improving the lives of those in the last mile.
● A degree in Human Resource Management preferred.
Work location will be in Gulu, with frequent travel to our branch in Lira. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Additional benefits include health insurance and professional development. We will agree on a 6-month probation period with learning and performance objectives after which we offer a two-year contract.
Want to apply?
● Take a look at our website to see how you resonate with what we do.
● You will upload your CV in PDF format into the form at the link below. Please ensure that it is tailored to this role and has no more than 3 pages.
● The deadline for applications is August 16th, 2020