Head of Credit and Growth
Job Title: Head of Credit and Growth
Location: Gulu and Lira, Uganda
About Cycle Connect
Cycle Connect is a social enterprise that delivers products and services to rural farmers in Uganda. We believe that distance should not be a barrier to opportunity and that is why we work on serving last-mile farmers.
Millions of farmers are financially excluded and yet need access to assets on credit. This is where Cycle Connect delivers as we specialize in offering productive assets on financing plans. We reach the most rural customers and offer low barrier loan terms built for farmers, enabling them to increase their income and in turn propel their communities forward.
We began our full-time operations in 2014 and early-on pivoted to a blended enterprise and impact model. We have a growing number of assets in our portfolio, including oxen and plough, bicycles, motorcycles, grinding machines, and a rich pipeline for even more. To date, we have worked with over 10,000 farmers across two different branches and backed up by 40 team members. We are venturing through an exciting time of growth and scale throughout Uganda and are therefore looking to expand our team.
We are looking for a passionate and dedicated individual to lead our Credit and Marketing department through rapid growth and continuous change. You will lead the company’s main business line- credit- and therefore your responsibilities will be vast and expectations will be high.
As part of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) you will play a crucial role in strategy, annual planning, and steering company performance. You will directly report to the Managing Director and frequently meet with the CEO, while simultaneously leading the operations for our 20+ field team personnel. Our growth and aspirations are tied to the success of this position and your follow-through.
Management (40%), you will:
- -Work with our two branches, Gulu and Lira, including monitoring financial performance, portfolio quality, growth, and market penetration.
- -Ensure that the growing field team, consisting of at least 20 members, is adequately performing against targets.
- -Work across departments to ensure smooth implementation of policies and initiatives.
- -Train and develop direct reports, as well as ensure that branches are executing on this for all field officers.
Portfolio Performance (30%):
- -Analyse financials to ensure costs are sustainable across all levels, revenue adequately matches performance, and daily cash flow fully reconciles across systems.
- -Supervise and control implementation of the regional growth strategy and expansion plans in line with the approved budget and timelines.
- -Monitor key metrics on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis to ensure the team is on track and the portfolio is in good standing.
- -Proactively analyze and evaluate portions of the portfolio that need additional attention.
- -Ensure the team is following the credit policies and procedures across all levels, including proper risk management, loan monitoring, and portfolio segmentation.
- -Develop credit strategy and risk management policies where needed.
- -Work with branches to ensure sales goals are being hit or exceeded.
- -Seek new market opportunities, including both within Northern Uganda as well as new region expansion.
- -Serve as liaison to external partners for marketing and sales opportunities.
Company Growth and Strategy (30%), you will:
- -Work with the managing director to think through and refine key strategic initiatives that will ensure Cycle Connect moving towards scalability and branch profitability.
- -Serve as a member of the Cycle Connect Senior Leadership Team and contribute to annual and multi-year plans through proactive analysis and scrutiny.
- -Own the Credit and Marketing departmental budget, including drafting targets, identifying personnel needed, and targeting areas of improvement.
- -Keep up to date with sector trends and analyze when Cycle Connect should test or consider new opportunities.
- -Provide daily, weekly and monthly reports to the managing director on the performance of the region and key issues that require the attention of management
Who are we looking for:
- -You have at least 7 years of experience in credit management, including at microfinance.
- -At least three years in leadership managing a team or department across multiple branches
- -You have at least two years of experience in agriculture credit.
- -You have led a team in rapid growth and expansion efforts.
- -We are ambitious and believe you should be, too. You push boundaries and strive for top results.
- -You are able to motivate a team to achieve and surpass set goals.
- -You have direct experience with rural farming communities and a passion for serving them through social business and impact-led work.
- -You have strong analytical skills, including advanced Excel skills.
- -You believe decisions need to be backed up by data, not just a narrative- you push your teams to deliver on this.
- -You have past results leading in uncertain environments.
- -You believe that markets are made to be disrupted and can think creatively of new ways to fill a market gap.
- -You bring a proven ability to build structure proactively, including the experience to demonstrate it.
- -You know what it means to coach and develop team members, including managers and supervisors who oversee implementers.
- -You’re a self-starter who is excited about working in a fast-paced and start-up environment.
- -You act with humility, know how to listen, and make yourself accessible to those you work with.
- -Your leadership style is to entrust others, empower them, and leverage your team in decisions and implementation.
- -You believe learning is constant and you inculcate a learning culture in those you work with.
- -You have had responsibility for a significant budget, including making decisions for investment and re-allocations.
Work location will be in Gulu, with frequent travel to our branch in Lira. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Additional benefits include health insurance and professional development. We will agree on a 6-month probation period with learning and performance objectives after which we offer a two-year contract.
Want to apply?
- Take a look at our website to see how you resonate with what we do.
- Fill out the online application form under this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdJzncFUNLsljebKjet9BMYj1x-Fw4sYh8yxuocoQPnuMzUGw/viewform
- You will upload your CV in PDF format into the form. Please ensure that it is tailored to this role and has no more than 3 pages.
- The deadline for applications is the 11th of December.