Cycle Connect is Hiring a Development Fellow
*NOTE: Cycle Connect was previously searching for a Development Manager but due to the impacts of COVID-19, we have redirected to search for a Development Fellow.
ABOUT CYCLE CONNECT
Cycle Connect is focused on moving farmers in East Africa out of extreme poverty. We believe that distance should not be a barrier to opportunity and that is why we work on serving last-mile farmers.
Millions of farmers are financially excluded and yet need access to assets on credit. This is where Cycle Connect delivers, as we specialize in offering productive assets on financing plans, reaching the most last-mile customers, and offering low barrier loan terms built for farmers, enabling them to increase their income and in turn propel their communities forward.
We began our full-time operations in 2014 and early-on pivoted to a business approach. We recently rebranded to further strengthen our commitment to a blended enterprise and impact model. We have a growing number of assets in our portfolio, including oxen and plow, bicycles, motorcycles, grinding machines, and a rich pipeline for even more. To date, we have worked with over 7,000 farmers across two different branches and backed up by 35 team members (and growing!).
LOCATION: Gulu, Uganda
REPORTS TO: CEO of Cycle Connect
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Development Fellow, you will help to build and grow the brand of Cycle Connect. You will work on our donor strategy and assist the CEO on fundraising.
The role is based in Gulu, Uganda where you will work with our team on the ground to pinpoint grant opportunities. The position requires a commitment of six months.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Funder Identification and Prospecting
- Continuously search for new funders and RFPs
- Work with CEO and Managing Director on conference and event preparation
- Donor Relations and Stewardship
- Ensure that donors receive thank you notes and that they are acknowledged in a timely manner
- Thank major donors over the phone and provide an update on Cycle Connect’s impact
- Design and manage our fundraising campaign strategy–mainly including our end of year campaign
- Foundation Relations and Proposal Writing
- Support our CEO on our major donor strategy and foundation relations
- Be responsible for grant writing for the organization, written proposals, and LOIs for foundations and major donors
- Back-end Logistics
- Manage our donor CRM to track donation analytics
- Gather data for our annual report and quarterly reports
- Work with our communications consultant on fundraising materials, donor messaging, and content for newsletters
- Grow Cycle Connect’s thought leadership strategy through public relations and earned media
- Manage social media channels for the organization
- Travel to the field to collect client testimonials to be utilized in our communications
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- You have at least six months of experience in the social enterprise space, ideally in a development role
- Strong preference is given to previous experience in grant writing and donor management
- You have a Bachelor’s degree
- You have experience with different systems, preferably with a donor CRM
- You have strong writing skills
- You are organized and have experience managing multi-channel fundraising campaigns
- You can be detail-oriented and stay organized even when plans change
- You are able to deliver results independently
- You have lived or worked in a developing country, preferably within East Africa
- You have work eligibility in the United States
- You are able to build systems in an unstructured environment
- You are able to work independently with little oversight
- You have a passion for improving the livelihoods of smallholder farmers and working to end extreme poverty
- You are comfortable traveling by motorcycle in a rural setting as a passenger
- You are fast-paced and efficient
- You are able to adapt quickly when plans change
- You’re a self-starter that’s excited to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- You believe learning is constant and you implement a learning culture in those you work with
- Passionate about social impact and improving the lives of those in the last mile.
WHY WORK WITH US?
- Cycle Connect is growing quickly, which allows the opportunity for staff to grow with us.
- We are constantly seeking to build the best company. This means we take your feedback seriously – your knowledge and experience can improve our policies and procedures.
- While our team is result-oriented, we also have a lot of fun. We enjoy team meals and lots of laughter.
You will work out of our office in Gulu with the potential to travel to Kampala. This position reports directly to the CEO.
Please use the online application form to apply for this position. This position is open to both International applicants and Ugandan Nationals.
WANT TO APPLY?
Only Online Applications are accepted. Interested candidates can apply online here: http://bit.ly/cycledev
Deadline: April 4, 2020